Ubuntu variants with LXDE pre-installed
If you are installing Ubuntu + LXDE on a new machine, there are some existing Ubuntu-based distros using LXDE. Maybe you can try them first.
- WattOS - Designed for older and low power computers (we make new ones screaming fast also :) ).
- MoonOS - an operating system featuring art.
- PUD GNU/Linux LXDE version - Lightweight and small Ubuntu-based installable live CD featuring LXDE.
- Masonux - Ubuntu remix featuring LXDE that includes Firefox, Pidgin, Ubuntu's normal networking applet, and Synaptic package manager preinstalled.
- Elemental Linux - Being Simple... Being Linux... Being Elemental!
- Lubuntu - Ubuntu with LXDE.
- LXLE - Popular respin of Lubuntu.
LXDE has been added to Ubuntu stable repositories. Type in your terminal:
sudo apt-get install lxde
Configuration for Login Managers
GDM or KDM
Just select LXDE from the available sessions listed by the display manager. If you don't see LXDE in the list, restart your gdm or kdm. You could also reboot.
With this display manager, some manual configuration is needed. Please refer to their official document and write your /etc/slim.conf and ~/.xinitrc. The command you should put in your ~/.xinitrc to start LXDE is:
No display manager, use startx
Run following command:
sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
Then choose startlxde. The next time you run startx, LXDE will be started.
Configuration for locales and input method
- GDM or KDM: Setting locale is not needed. Input method can be specified by im-switch.
- SLIM: put this in your ~/.xinitrc before "exec startlxde" to set locales.
zh_TW.UTF-8 (traditional Chinese, Taiwan) is my locale, please replace it with yours.
export LC_ALL=zh_TW.UTF-8 export LANGUAGE=zh_TW.UTF-8 export LANG=zh_TW.UTF-8
If you need to use input method, add those lines, too. Please refer to the document of your input method. Here I use scim for example. (FIXME: Maybe we can use some im-switch compatible way here. Anyone know how to do it please fix this)
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim export QT_IM_MODULE=xim scim -d
Minimal Ubuntu + LXDE Installation
- Install Ubuntu base system with Ubuntu Alternate installer CD, and only install a command line-based system (Server without all the internet services). Some user suggested that you can install xubuntu and remove xfce after installing LXDE. However, install from base system is recommended. Ask on Ubuntuforums if you got problems regarding to this. There are some related articles on the forum.
Only install the base system. Then, add our preceding repository, and do this:
sudo aptitude update sudo aptitude install xorg lxde sudo mkdir /usr/share/backgrounds #The LXDE screen saver app requires that this directory exist or it returns annoying error messages.
- LXDE installation in ubuntu Including screenshots
- details minimal ubuntu desktop installation with screenshot
- Check out Ubuntu channels to get into development and support the inclusion of LXDE here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat
- Ubuntu Developer Team on Launchpad https://launchpad.net/~lxde
- Distribution Lubuntu uses LXDE as Desktop (->Wikipedia article)