The Whole Integrated LXDE
- Try to make each components more integrated when executed together.
- Provide mechanisms to set preferred applications (browser, terminal emulator, mail reader)
- Try to override some commands like gnome-open under LXDE to get rid of some problems
PCManFM (file manager)
- Basic trash can support (highest priority)
- Support samba, ftp, sftp, ... via FUSE (already under development, but help is needed)
- Make desktop icons movable (already under development)
- Customizable file actions (Adding popup menu items for specific mime-types)
- Automount for volumes
- Make preference dialog callable via command line.
- Support changing wallpaper via command line.
- Support RTL layout for desktop icons
- Mouse gesture (A friend is trying to work on this)
- Try to separate the folder view from PtkFileBrowser class for better use and extension (For example, dual-pane mode). (low priority)
- POSIX ACL with libacl (low priority)
- Implement filter bar like in Dolphin
LXPanel (desktop panel)
- Better support for customizing text colors
- Better UI for adding application quick launch buttons.
- Improve the start menu.
LXLauncher (easy-mode application launcher)
- Basic theme support
- Better application grouping rules
LXTerminal (terminal emulator)
Is it possible to develop a lightweight terminal emulator based-on Scintilla editor widget?
This is the core of the famous SciTE editor which supports UTF-8 and has good performance.
LXSession (session manager)
- Allow shutdown/reboot with sudo when HAL is not available.
- Make config files of LXSession and LXSession Lite compatible.
LXNM (network helper daemon)
- Hack gnome-screensaver and to remove all gnome dependencies.
- This won't be difficult since gnome-screensaver only uses minimal gnome APIs, but it does require dbus.
- gnome dependencies in gnome-screensaver:
- gnome-session for sending idle notice. X server idle timeout is ignored.
- libgnomeui: only used for gnome_bg_*
- gconf: can be replaced with GKeyFile.
- libgnomekbd: can be turned off with configure option.
- dbus interfaces: need to be renamed with 'gnome' removed from their names.
- reference of gnome-desktop package should be removed from configure.ac.
- fast user switching support requires gdm, though.
- enable hiding icons on desktop
- tools to easily setup/change apps.desktop shortcut
- create apps.desktop by right click on desktop > create new > shortcut.
- ability to customize all fonts used in LXDE, for accessibility.
- applets to configure the screen resolution. (it's unthinkable to have a DE without a screen resolution changer)
- separate desktop icons handling from PCManFM (i.e. instead of one application there would be two).
- add option in lxterminal to remove scroll bar and menu bar
- tool for making screenshots in easy way.
- annoint Geany as LXIDE