- 1 Ubuntu variants with LXDE pre-installed
- 2 Install from APT repository
- 3 Configuration for Login Managers
- 4 Configuration for locales and input method
- 5 Minimal Ubuntu + LXDE Installation
- 6 Links
Ubuntu variants with LXDE pre-installed
If you are installing Ubuntu + LXDE on a new machine, there are some existing Ubuntu-based distros using LXDE. Maybe you can try them first.
- MoonOS - an operating system featuring art.
- PUD GNU/Linux LXDE version - Lightweight and small Ubuntu-based installable live CD featuring LXDE.
- U-lite - A member of Ubuntu Derivative Team featuring LXDE.
- Masonux - Ubuntu remix featuring LXDE that includes Firefox, Pidgin, Ubuntu's normal networking applet, and Synaptic package manager preinstalled.
- BoomBuntu - An extra light & super fast distribution based on Ubuntu & LXDE!
Install from APT repository
Intrepid Ibex and future releases
LXDE desktop has been added to Ubuntu stable repositories. No editing of sources are needed.
sudo aptitude install lxde
Hardy Heron and Gutsy Gibbon
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/lxde/ubuntu hardy main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/lxde/ubuntu hardy main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/lxde/ubuntu gutsy main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/lxde/ubuntu gutsy main
After adding our repository, execute the following commands.
sudo aptitude update sudo aptitude install lxde
Configuration for Login Managers
GDM or KDM
No manual configuration is needed. Just select LXDE from the available sessions listed by the display manager. If you don't see LXDE, restart your gdm or kdm, or reboot.
With this display manager, some manual configuration is needed. Please refer to their official document and write your /etc/slim.conf and ~/.xinitrc. The command you should put in your ~/.xinitrc to start LXDE is:
No display manager, use startx
Run following command:
sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
Then choose startlxde. The next time you run startx, LXDE will be started.
Configuration for locales and input method
- GDM or KDM: Setting locale is not needed. Input method can be specified by im-switch.
- SLIM: put this in your ~/.xinitrc before "exec startlxde" to set locales.
zh_TW.UTF-8 (traditional Chinese, Taiwan) is my locale, please replace it with yours.
export LC_ALL=zh_TW.UTF-8 export LANGUAGE=zh_TW.UTF-8 export LANG=zh_TW.UTF-8
If you need to use input method, add those lines, too. Please refer to the document of your input method. Here I use scim for example. (FIXME: Maybe we can use some im-switch compatible way here. Anyone know how to do it please fix this)
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim export QT_IM_MODULE=xim scim -d
Minimal Ubuntu + LXDE Installation
- Install Ubuntu base system with Ubuntu Alternate installer CD, and only install a command line-based system (Server without all the internet services). Some user suggested that you can install xubuntu and remove xfce after installing LXDE. However, install from base system is recommended. Ask on Ubuntuforms if you got problems regarding to this. There are some related articles on the forum.
Only install the base system. Then, add our preceding repository, and do this:
sudo aptitude update sudo aptitude install xorg lxde sudo mkdir /usr/share/backgrounds #The LXDE screen saver app requires that this directory exist or it returns annoying error messages.
- LXDE installation in ubuntu Including screenshots
- details minimal ubuntu desktop installation with screenshot
- Check out Ubuntu channels to get into development and support the inclusion of LXDE here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat
- Ubuntu Developer Team on Launchpad https://launchpad.net/~lxde
- Distribution Lubuntu uses LXDE as Desktop http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu