Compared with other contemporary modern desktops, the system requirements of LXDE is quite low. A personal computer produced in 1999 can handle it well.
LXDE can run on most POSIX systems with X11 installed. Currently Linux is the main platform supported. FreeBSD is also tested. Other Unix-like systems should be supported as well, but not yet well-tested. So help is needed. If you have successfully installed LXDE on other systems or have patches for them, post it on the issue tracker please.
Linux only features in each components (Optional, can be disabled)
Some of the features of LXDE are Linux-only. You can disable them during compilation with configure options. So LXDE can be compiled perfectly on other systems. Do ./configure --help for more info.
PCManFM - file manager
- DBus and HAL (hardware abstraction layer): HAL is used for volume mounting and management of removable devices.
- This is optional and can be turned off. However, with HAL disabled, PCManFM cannot mount removable devices. (Since 6.0, HAL is supported by FreeBSD)
LXPanel - desktop panel
- netstat plugin: Monitor internet connections and provide easy access to wireless connections via LXNM.
- netstatus plugin: Mnother network monitor ported from gnome-panel. It might be Linux only.
- volumealsa plugin: Volume control via ALSA. In LXPanel there is another volume control plugin called "volume" using OSS interface. It's not Linux-only.
- batt plugin: Battery monitor using Linux ACPI. Currently it's Linux-only.
LXSession / LXSession Lite - session manager
- DBus and HAL: HAL is used in the logout dialog of the session manager for some functions, like "Suspend", "Hibernate", "Reboot", and "Power off". Without this, LXSession can only do "Logout".
LXTask - task manager
- This is derived from XFCE4 task manager, which is known to be Linux only. If you know how to patch it and make it work on other systems, please contact the developers, or post the patch in the issue tracker.
- Other parts of LXDE should run perfectly on most of the POSIX systems without problems. If you find any incompatibility, file bug reports in the bug tracker.